Phoenix, AZ asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Arizona

Q: what can i do if i dont have money to spend on a lawyer but i believe my civil rights have been violated by the city pd

was on a job and the place where i was working was being broken into and used as a drug house and flop house.. so i staged the property as if someone lived there and continued to work on the house. (i was trying to keep the house in compliance withthe city so they didnt get anymore violations with the city), police came threatened me and didn't even try to hear my side . said they would seize my dog and arrest me .. took my surveillance system and then months later asked me to drop it and they would but didn't get all my stuff back.i have been running my own business for 14 yrs and lost everything that year and have not been able to recover finanancially and now owe the sba 35000 for stuff i dont even have anymore because they wont let me get it and wont give it to me.. but if the case is dropped and on the hush then whyu cant i get my stuff. i have tried to contact them on multiple occasions and no word at all. left messages a ton of times and called over aand over nothing

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe your civil rights have been violated but lack the resources for a lawyer, consider reaching out to legal aid organizations or civil rights groups in your area. These groups often provide free or low-cost legal services to individuals facing civil rights issues. Additionally, some law schools have clinics where law students, supervised by licensed attorneys, offer legal assistance to those who cannot afford it.

Document all interactions and attempts to communicate with the police department, including dates, times, and the content of the conversations. This documentation can be crucial in building a case. Moreover, keep all evidence related to your situation, such as correspondence and any paperwork related to your business losses and the issues with the SBA loan.

Explore the possibility of filing a complaint with your city’s internal affairs division or civilian review board, which handle grievances against police actions. You might also want to contact your state's attorney general's office, as they may be able to offer guidance or assistance. Remember, while the process can be daunting, there are resources and avenues available to help you assert your rights and seek justice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.