New Orleans, LA asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Louisiana

Q: I bought a tax lien from the city of New Orleans in 2013.

I invested some money into cleaning it up and maintaining for a year. I never heard from the owner and let it go as a bad investment. The owner has reached out to me wanting to redeem the lien. In the meantime, someone else bought the lien again. So two of us have a lien on the property. The second person had an attorney who asked me if I planned on contesting her client getting the property. I had no idea what she meant or how to answer her. I need to know what I'm entitled to and obligated for. I have no idea what type of attorney I need to speak with. Who can I talk to about this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In situations like this, consulting with a real estate attorney who has experience in tax lien cases is advisable. These professionals understand the nuances of property law, tax liens, and redemption rights. They can help you navigate the complexities of your situation, including the implications of multiple liens on a single property and the rights of each lienholder.

It's important to gather all relevant documents and information regarding your tax lien purchase, any expenses you've incurred while maintaining the property, and any correspondence with the property owner or other lienholders. This will help your attorney assess your position and guide you on the best course of action.

You should also consider contacting the city's tax or property records department to understand the status of the property and the liens against it. This information can provide clarity on your rights and obligations, and help your attorney build a stronger case for you. Acting promptly is crucial to protect your interests and ensure you make informed decisions.

Randy Bryan Ligh agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.