Orange Park, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: Can the Landlord change his mind after we both signed the lease and he except the security deposit rent to someone else

Not two weeks ago we both signed the lease took it to section 8 they say 14 business days for you inspection now the landlord said he want to rent to someone else I'm a disabled senior with medical conditions this is no acceptable to be treated like this

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Once a lease agreement is signed by both the landlord and the tenant, it becomes a legally binding contract. This means that both parties are obligated to adhere to the terms set forth in the lease. If your landlord attempts to rent the property to someone else after signing the lease with you and accepting your security deposit, this could potentially be a breach of contract.

It's important to know that tenant rights vary by location, and there are often protections in place for renters, especially for seniors and individuals with disabilities. If you find yourself in this situation, it's advisable to reach out to local housing authorities or a legal advice service to understand your rights and the steps you can take. These organizations can provide guidance based on your specific situation and the laws in your area.

Documenting all communications with your landlord, including any agreements, receipts for payments made, and records of any discussions about the lease, can be crucial. This documentation can serve as evidence if you need to pursue legal action or file a complaint with a housing authority. Remember, you are not alone in this, and there are resources available to support you in upholding your rights as a tenant.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.