Morganville, NJ asked in Family Law, Personal Injury, Child Support and Domestic Violence for New Jersey

Q: My daughter is mentally agonized and in trauma due to violent behavior of her father's girlfriend who came to our home

It happened in 2022 and since then a series of events happened including domestic violence on me (the mother by the father). I need to know what actions can I take against the father and his girl friend. My daughter is in High School and she is always traumatized that the woman may harm her

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You need to retain an experienced matrimonial attorney who has extensive domestic violence trial experience. The attorney will help you to obtain a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) against both the father and his girlfriend. Criminal charges against both may also be possible, but that will require at least consulting a criminal defense attorney. Once you have the TRO, the matrimonial attorney you retained will seek to bring this matter to trial and obtain a Final Restraining Order for both you and your daughter against the abusers. Pick the best attorney you can find and remember one rule: a good attorney is generally never cheap, and a cheap attorney is generally never good so don't choose based on price. With modern technology, you can be represented by any high-quality attorney in New Jersey irrespective of geography.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.