Topeka, KS asked in Employment Law, International Law and Immigration Law for Kansas

Q: Hi, as as international student are we allowed to do self employments? Like digital marketing, monetizing social media??

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As an international student in the United States on an F-1 visa, there are restrictions on the types of work you can do. In general, you are not allowed to engage in off-campus self-employment like digital marketing or monetizing social media. However, there are a few exceptions:

1. On-campus employment: You can work on your school's campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time during breaks.

2. Curricular Practical Training (CPT): If your digital marketing or social media work is related to your field of study and you receive course credit for it, you might be eligible for CPT. This requires approval from your school's international student office.

3. Optional Practical Training (OPT): After completing your degree, you may apply for OPT which allows you to work in your field of study for up to 12 months (or 24 months for STEM fields). During this time, you could potentially engage in self-employment related to your degree.

It's important to note that engaging in unauthorized work can lead to serious consequences, including the termination of your F-1 status. Always check with your school's international student office or the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before engaging in any type of employment to ensure you maintain your legal status.

The information provided is based on my knowledge cutoff in August 2023. For the most current and accurate information, please consult with your school's international student office or USCIS directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.