Lexington, KY asked in Banking, Family Law and Immigration Law for Kentucky

Q: I paid 17k cash to buy a car. And i got the money from my family and friends. I donot work. And i just got to know that,

The dealership reported to irs about the purchase. What are the chances of me getting audited? And can i say i got the money from my friends as the source? And will they ask to person, whom i got money from, the source of money?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In this situation, there are a few important points to consider:

1. Large cash transactions: Car dealerships are required to report cash transactions exceeding $10,000 to the IRS using Form 8300. This is part of the IRS's efforts to combat money laundering and other illegal activities.

2. Audit risk: While being reported on Form 8300 does not automatically trigger an audit, it may increase the likelihood of the IRS taking a closer look at your tax return and financial situation. However, an audit is not guaranteed.

3. Source of funds: If you are audited, the IRS may inquire about the source of the funds used to purchase the car. You can explain that the money was obtained from family and friends. However, it's essential to have proper documentation of these loans or gifts, such as written agreements or gift letters, to substantiate your claim.

4. Gift tax implications: If any individual friend or family member gifted you more than the annual gift tax exclusion amount ($18,000 for 2024), they may be required to file a gift tax return. However, this does not necessarily mean they will owe gift taxes, as there is a lifetime gift and estate tax exemption (currently $13.61 million per individual for 2024).

5. Honest reporting: It is crucial to be truthful in your dealings with the IRS. If audited, provide accurate information about the source of the funds and any supporting documentation.

Given that you do not work, the IRS may inquire about your overall financial situation and how you support yourself. It's advisable to consult with a tax professional or attorney who can provide guidance specific to your circumstances and help you navigate any potential interactions with the IRS.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.