Winston-Salem, NC asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for North Carolina

Q: What can I do when my business partner refuses to provide financial statements and has substantially reduced dividend?

My mom died last year, and was 25% owner of a family shopping center. Since my mom's death, my Aunt Janet has substantially reduced the dividend she is paying me, she has claimed that my 25% is not enough for me to even have the right to see the banking records or financial statements now that she's changed the business to an LLC. After my mom died, Janet kept pressuring me to sign some documents that her lawyer prepared, but I waited about a week to call him back, and by that time he had suffered a stroke and retired only a month or two later.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A North Carolina attorney who deals with business law and business organizations (Corp, LLC, etc) could advise best, but your question remains open for five weeks. A starting point could be to reach out to law firms to review your paperwork, your business partner's actions, and outline your options for you. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.