Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Arbitration / Mediation Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
North Carolina Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for North Carolina on
Q: What can I do when my business partner refuses to provide financial statements and has substantially reduced dividend?

My mom died last year, and was 25% owner of a family shopping center. Since my mom's death, my Aunt Janet has substantially reduced the dividend she is paying me, she has claimed that my 25% is not enough for me to even have the right to see the banking records or financial statements now... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on May 2, 2024

A North Carolina attorney who deals with business law and business organizations (Corp, LLC, etc) could advise best, but your question remains open for five weeks. A starting point could be to reach out to law firms to review your paperwork, your business partner's actions, and outline your... View More

Q: Am I covered

I put mobile home under contract with a rent to own buyer with owner financing agreement. Contract states (as is) what you see or don't see is what you get. Buyer calls me and says the electric is not working in the living room & 1 of bedrooms as they were operating during and after Reno... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 31, 2024

Based on the information you provided, it seems that the buyer may have a case against you, despite the "as is" clause in the contract. Here's why:

1. Implied warranties: Even with an "as is" clause, there are implied warranties that the property is habitable and...
View More

Q: I purchased a vehicle from an Auction Company in OK that did not disclose Salvage Title. Do I have a case to sue?

I live in NC.

I purchased the car from an Auction in OK.

They did not disclose prior salvage history or its current salvage title prior to sale either on the description or during dialogue on sale day.

The only document I received regarding the purchase was an invoice that... View More

Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
answered on Nov 29, 2022

Did the auction company advertise this sale to you personally, or otherwise reach into North Carolina to attract North Carolina bidders? if not, you should look for an Oklahoma licensed attorney with automobile fraud experience to have a consultation with. Your lawsuit would most likely have to be... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Consumer Law and Contracts for North Carolina on
Q: I put down money to lease a car a year ago. Do I have the right to reseind and keep that car? Cash & consumer credit mix

They told me I have to make a down payment to get a car and have car insurance beforehand. I was reading up thats possible to get your money back if you write a letter outlying the codes they violated.

Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
answered on Nov 6, 2022

I'm not sure where you read this, but requiring a down payment on a lease and proof of full coverage insurance is not illegal. Any right of recission would exist immediately after you signed the contract, and only for a limited time. You are asking if you can sign a long term contract, pay on... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Estate Planning and Probate for North Carolina on
Q: How can I find out if I am the beneficiary of any lost wills or inheritance from family members who have passed

I was told that they was once told that my dad or his dad had left me something in will but was never contacted also I believe I may of been beneficiary of inheritance but believe it was kept from me and possibly taken, how can I find out when I have little information to go on..?

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jun 20, 2023

If your Father died without a Will being Probated and owning land, then you as an heir had some interest. But taxes have to be paid, as well as notes, and if not, the land is lost. Check in your Father's County to see if there was a Probate proceeding, and the property tax records.

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for North Carolina on
Q: How do I get my name removed from the deed of a house I co-own with my sister in North Carolina?

My sister and I inherited my parents’ Chapel Hill home in 2020. My sister, who resides in Chapel Hill, took care of the estate sale, and we agreed she would become sole owner of the house. When she closed the estate, she directed the estate lawyer to include my name as co-owner on the house. My... View More

Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
answered on Mar 16, 2023

You can file a quitclaim deed which would transfer any interest you have to your sister. Your sister would not have to agree or even know about this deed. Contact any attorney in NC, and they can assist with this.

View More Answers

Q: Can I sue a business who made me get costly insurance and certifications to work with them if after I do so they ignore?

I had been in talks with a large college for over a year about running my mobile business on campus, I moved states, and got the insurance/ certifications/ inspections they told me I had to get to work with them (all of which costed money) and after doing all that specifically for this school,... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Oct 15, 2021

A North Carolina attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. It could be difficult for ANY attorney to answer your question based on these brief facts. An attorney would likely want to see agreements, contracts, and communications between you and the business. If you... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Family Law for North Carolina on
Q: xwife passed not seen her 10 yrs , no divorce want me to sign paper so they can funeral

No assets, ex wife , never divorced

Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
answered on Nov 16, 2020

Speak to a local attorney before signing papers, since you were still legally married you may be giving up certain rights if you sign the papers.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Securities Law for North Carolina on
Q: I'm searching for a NC attorney who can review a financial services consulting agreement.

Review and advise on an IAR agreement.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 25, 2019

You could contact the North Carolina Bar Association for assistance. They have an attorney referral service.

Tim Akpinar

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Child Custody for North Carolina on
Q: Which would be better for me... I truly can’t afford a lawyer but I want to see my child. mediation or other?

I am currently struggling to see my child. The other parent makes to many hoops and I jump but still nothing. I can afford a lawyer at the time. I was curious as to going about filing for mediation. I just want my rights as a father to see my child. Nothing out of way or anything like that. I do... View More

Kelli Y. Allen
Kelli Y. Allen
answered on Jan 22, 2019

Mediation can be very effective. I recommend trying mediation as early in the process as possible, as you can save a lot of time and money if it works. You don't indicate whether there has been a court filing yet, but if so, the judge will actually order mediation. If a court case has not... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Divorce for North Carolina on
Q: My wife filed for Absolute Divorce & won by lying about date of separation. 2 mos, not 1 yr sepatn. Anyway I can reopen?

I have police reports, witnesses, pictures, and other paperwork proving that we were still together until 2 months before she filed for the divorce. She won the case because I was sickly during the time she sent papers, I just started a job 2 months before and didn't realize she was actually... View More

Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Nov 30, 2016

First things first - you don't 'win' a divorce and there is no such thing as 'legal separation papers'. That said, if she lied about the separation date, she can be in a heap of trouble as she may be charged with perjury and you may be able to get the divorce set aside.... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.