Latham, NY asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Puerto Rico

Q: Mom and dad are divorce and both names are on the property in PR, would the property go to my mom if he passes first?

Dad has 2 kids from his first marriage. Mom bought the home while divorced from my dad they remarried and before divorcing again she added him to the property per the lawyer request. If he passes away would my mom be able to sell the property with out any consent from his kids from first marriage and give them their share? Neither of them have a will.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • Probate Lawyer
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Having your parents divorced, the home becomes a community property, whereby both of your parents have an equal stake of 50% each. Upon either's death, the deceased parent's participation in the real estate will go to hir/her legal heirs. Prior to transmitting the succession rights, the heir(s) must be designated either by a Will left by the deceased or a declaration of heirs resolution issued by the Puerto Rico courts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.