Portland, OR asked in Civil Litigation, Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Oregon

Q: Neighbor is stalking/harassing me. Judge denied SPO due to no violence. Can I sue in small claims or seek injunction?

I have evidence of my neighbor stalking me as he shows up everywhere I go within 10-15mns. He's tracking not following me but haven't found the gps device yet. It's daily & he's relentless. The cops even went to his house & told him to stop plus avoid me which did nothing. Several police reports filed too.

The judge denied my stalking protection order as he says anyone can legally follow anyone 24/7. An attack or property damage has to occur first.

Can I sue the stalker in small claims court for emotional distress & disturbing my right to live peacefully, as well as seek an injunction to stop his behaviors?

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Of course you can sue in circuit or small claims court. Can you win? Not likely on the facts presented.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.