Bellevue, WA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Washington

Q: WA state. Tenant lease expired but tenant is sick and had to wait a week after vacation date.

Tenant can't afford a new lease and wants to move out, while the landlord wants to force tenant to sign another new lease adding incredible sum $$$, threatening the tenant of taking away the concession that was given to him at the beginning of his expired lease.

The tenant is elderly and instructed by physician to stay with a relative or in an assisted living. Tenant does not know what to do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In this situation, it's important for you to know that even if your lease has expired, you still have rights as a tenant. Washington State law requires landlords to provide a written notice if they want you to move out, usually 20 days before the end of the rental period. If you've received such a notice and can't move out by the specified date due to your health, it might be useful to communicate this to your landlord directly and request a short extension.

Additionally, since you're dealing with health issues and have been advised to stay with a relative or move into assisted living, explaining your medical situation to your landlord could help. Many states have provisions for tenants with disabilities or serious health conditions, which might provide you some extra protection against abrupt eviction.

If your landlord is pressuring you to sign a new lease with terms that are unaffordable, it would be wise to seek guidance from a local tenant advocacy group or legal aid organization. They can offer advice specific to your situation and help negotiate with your landlord or provide representation if necessary. Remember, you have the right to reject a new lease offer, especially if it's not financially feasible for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.