Louisville, KY asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Kentucky

Q: Can I adopt without parent permission if I have permanent custody since 11 months old and she is going to be 7.

I received temporary custody of this child at 2 weeks old and the mother did not comply with CPS request. When this child was just shy of her first birthday I was granted permanent custody of this child. Mother is in her life, the mother is on probation. This child is 6 years old. The father has no rights but has had DNA to prove he is the father pays no child support and does not visit her, mother is living in my house with us and she helps with her, as far as get her ready for school and helps with getting her ready for bedtime, can I adopt her with out parents consent? The mother is paying child support father is supposed to but since her birth he has paid almost $10. Or does she have a chance at getting custody of her,

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Yes, you can file a contested adoption action against both parents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.