Seattle, WA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Washington

Q: Can I get evicted for my daughters friend having the police to break windows and throw tear gas in to get him out?

I was in my room sleeping and the police woke me up. I looked at camera and asked myself why are they here. Ran downstairs and open the door and went and talk to them. At 1st they told me I couldn't go back in. Then they let me. I tried to talk the dude into surrendering when I noticed he had a gun. So I went upstairs and had my boyfriend and mother head to door. Informed officers we were coming out and we walked out. We waited about 6 hours just to go back and get a car to leave. As I looked at my rental unit I noticed they knocked out a bunch of windows. They said to throw in tear gas. Then the Sgt. Said don't worry, we have to pay for this. They put 2 boards on windows and left. Filed paperwork and nothing yet. When I asked the manager will I get put out she said no. 5 days later she comes and tell me the owner is mad and they are going to give me a 10 day notice. I told the guy to leave and never come back but he did. Now I have to move out or put my daughter out with 2 year old

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on the information you've provided, it seems that you are not directly responsible for the actions of your daughter's friend or the resulting damage to the rental property caused by the police intervention. However, the property owner may still choose to evict you, as the incident occurred in your rental unit.

Here are a few points to consider:

1. Review your lease agreement to see if there are any clauses related to criminal activity or property damage that could be grounds for eviction.

2. Document all communication with the property manager and owner, as well as any paperwork or reports filed with the police.

3. Consider seeking legal advice from a local tenant rights organization or attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant law. They can help you understand your rights and options in this situation.

4. If you receive an eviction notice, you may have the right to contest the eviction in court, depending on your location and the specific circumstances.

5. If possible, try to negotiate with the property owner or manager to reach an agreement that allows you to stay in the rental unit, perhaps by offering to pay for a portion of the damages or ensuring that your daughter's friend will not return to the property.

Remember, laws regarding eviction and tenant rights vary by state and locality, so it's essential to consult with a legal professional who can provide guidance specific to your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.