Kirkland, WA asked in Securities Law for Washington

Q: Can you recommend a crypto related lawyer who can help me recover my lost investment money being frozen by an exchange.

I seek a lawyer who guarantees no lawyer's fee unless the frozen money is recovered successfully, because I am too broke to afford an upfront lawyer's fee after being scammed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: I apologize for your difficult situation with the frozen funds on the exchange. However, I would be very cautious about any lawyer who guarantees they will only take payment if they successfully recover your money. While contingency fees are common in some areas of law like personal injury, they are much less common for cases involving financial losses or disputes with exchanges.

Any reputable lawyer will likely want to carefully review the details of your case before agreeing to represent you, and may require a retainer fee or hourly billing rather than a pure contingency arrangement. Guaranteeing success without knowing the specifics would be irresponsible on their part.

My suggestion would be to start by contacting your local bar association. Many have referral services that can connect you with lawyers who specialize in cryptocurrency and financial issues. You can explain your situation and financial constraints and see if they have any recommendations.

You could also try reaching out to legal aid clinics or pro bono programs in your area to see if any offer free or low-cost assistance for victims of financial fraud. Some law schools also have clinics that provide legal services to those who cannot afford standard legal fees.

When interviewing potential lawyers, be sure to ask detailed questions about their fee structures, experience with crypto exchanges, and assessment of your case. Be wary of anyone making promises that seem too good to be true.

I know it's a difficult predicament to be in and I empathize with your situation. But be cautious about offers of guaranteed success without payment. Focus on finding an experienced, trustworthy lawyer or legal aid program that can give you an honest assessment and explore options even with limited funds. I wish you the best of luck in resolving this and recovering your investments.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.