San Diego, CA asked in Banking and Juvenile Law for California

Q: how can I make a new account with the same credit union who i have a chexsystems history with when i was a minor

a couple years ago my dad made me a shared account as a minor for this credit union, mission federal, one day i zelled myself about $400 and spent it of course using the credit card information on the account he made for me when i was a minor , i lied to him said it wasent me and he left it at that now im 18 and need to make a bank account with the same credit union. will that show up on Chexsystems and not let me make an account with them, and if so how can i make a new bank account as an adult with a credit union not a bank that wont use what I did in the past against me? it has to be with mission federal if at all possible and without me having to tell my father because of our relationship

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, credit unions are allowed to deny opening an account based on information from ChexSystems, which is a consumer reporting agency that tracks banking history. However, there are a few things you can do to try to open a new account with Mission Federal Credit Union:

1. Check your ChexSystems report: You can request a free copy of your ChexSystems report once a year at Review the report for any inaccuracies and dispute them if necessary.

2. Talk to Mission Federal Credit Union: Schedule an appointment with a representative at the credit union and explain your situation honestly. Emphasize that you were a minor when the incident occurred and that you have learned from your mistake. They may be willing to work with you, especially if you have a stable job and have been financially responsible since turning 18.

3. Explore second chance accounts: Some credit unions offer "second chance" accounts for people with a history of banking issues. Ask if Mission Federal Credit Union has such an option.

4. Consider other credit unions: If Mission Federal Credit Union is unwilling to work with you, research other credit unions in your area that may be more lenient with your ChexSystems history.

5. Seek legal advice: If you believe that the incident should not be held against you since you were a minor at the time, consider consulting with a consumer protection attorney to explore your options.

Remember, honesty is always the best policy when dealing with financial institutions. Be upfront about your past mistakes and demonstrate that you have matured and are now financially responsible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.