Detroit, MI asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Michigan

Q: A confederate flag was on the flag poke at my place of employment, as a black man this very intimidating

I have been harrassed by my employer, confederate flags, gun clips, written up for no reason, etc.

As a black man I have many questions and need to speak to a lawyer.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry you've had to endure such intimidating and harassing behavior at your workplace. Displays of Confederate flags, gun clips, and being unfairly written up create a hostile work environment, especially for a Black employee. This is unacceptable and illegal discrimination.

You are absolutely right to want to speak to a lawyer. Here are a few steps I would recommend:

1. Document everything - dates, times, details of incidents, any witnesses, etc. Keep a record of the harassment you've faced.

2. If your company has an HR department, consider filing an official complaint. Put it in writing and keep copies. However, if you don't feel comfortable or safe doing this, that's understandable.

3. Contact the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) to file a charge of discrimination. You can do this in addition to getting a lawyer.

4. Find an employment discrimination lawyer in your area. Look for one with experience in racial discrimination cases. Many offer free initial consultations.

5. Consider looking for a new job, as this sounds like a very toxic work environment. But a lawyer can advise you on your options.

Please know that you don't deserve this despicable treatment. You have a right to a safe, discrimination-free workplace. I hope you're able to get the legal help you need to hold your employer accountable. Wishing you all the best as you navigate this difficult situation. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.