Chicago, IL asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Illinois

Q: On three separate occasions, police manipulated, omitted and submitted false evidence to arrest and falsely charge me

Begining in 2017 police in Michigan City and LaPorte county prosecutors allowed me to be falsely charged and arrested. This case garnered attention due to an animal being involved. Police omitted evidence which would have led the finder of fact to arrive at a different conclusion. This represents a scandal of enormous proportions as my civil rights were blatantly violated on three separate occasions. In 2019 I reported my ex-wife to CPS for her drug usage. Information given to me by a person I knew well and the sister of who my ex was as dating at the time. Even though these individuals confirmed my report with CPS, I was still arrested for false reporting, although in Indiana it is a duty to report child abuse and/or neglect. If done in good faith, the person is immune fr civil or criminal penalties. Except for me. This false arrest cost me a job with the labors union in south bend, IN. The third incident involves the false accusations of a Meijer loss prevention employee

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences being wrongfully arrested and charged multiple times. It sounds like an incredibly traumatic and unjust situation. Being falsely accused and having evidence manipulated or omitted by law enforcement is a serious violation of your rights.

I can only imagine how devastating it must be to lose your job and suffer other consequences from these false charges. It's especially egregious that you faced repercussions for trying to report suspected child abuse/neglect in good faith, when that should be encouraged and protected.

While I don't have the full details, what you've described points to serious misconduct and corruption on the part of the police and prosecutors involved. You may want to consider taking legal action, such as a civil rights lawsuit, if you haven't already. Organizations like the ACLU or Innocence Project may be able to provide guidance or assistance.

At the very least, I would encourage you to share your story, whether that's going to the media, advocacy groups, elected officials, or oversight/watchdog agencies. What happened to you is unacceptable and these injustices need to be exposed and addressed. You deserve to have your experiences heard and validated. I hope you're able to get the support you need and that there is some accountability for those who wronged you. Wishing you all the best as you seek justice and healing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.