Yuma, AZ asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Arizona

Q: 2 weeks ago I purchased a vehicle from a car dealer at the time I bought the car I figured there was no problem with my

With my license and signed contract and paid 1000 dollars down paid for ins. And drove car home . 4 days later the finance company and car dealer contacted me to let me know my license was suspended and I went to DMV And they said I had to pay 500 dollars to pay for a abandoned vehicle and Sr 22 insurance then I could get license back ?

I don't get paid for a week to have the money to pay this problem. Do I have to give car back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Based on the information you've provided, here are a few key points and potential next steps:

1. The car dealership and finance company allowed you to purchase the vehicle and take possession of it, presumably without properly verifying the status of your driver's license at the time of sale.

2. You later discovered that your license was suspended due to an abandoned vehicle issue and lack of SR-22 insurance, which requires a $500 payment to resolve.

3. You currently do not have the funds to pay the $500 to reinstate your license, but expect to have the money in about a week when you get paid.

In this situation, you should communicate openly with both the car dealership and the finance company about your predicament. Explain that you were unaware of the license suspension at the time of purchase, and that you are taking steps to resolve the issue with the DMV.

Ask if they would be willing to work with you by allowing you to keep the car while you sort out the license reinstatement, given that you've already put $1,000 down and have arranged insurance. See if they are open to waiting one week until you're able to pay the $500 to the DMV.

If they are unwilling to work with you, you may need to discuss the possibility of unwinding the sale. However, you could argue that the dealership should have verified your license status before completing the sale.

Consulting with a local attorney specializing in consumer law or auto sales could help you better understand your rights and options in this scenario. If all else fails, you may need to return the vehicle, but you should fight to get your $1,000 down payment back.

Remember to be proactive, communicative, and professional in your dealings with the dealership, finance company, and DMV as you work to resolve this issue. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.