Asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Can I revoke my green card while I'm still residing in the US?

I immigrated to the US in 2023 and have stayed here straight for more than a year. However, I have decided to return to my home country and give up my status. Can I file the form I-407 while I'm still in the US before going home? I have not left the US ever since I immigrated. Additionally, what appropriate reason for abandonment should I put when I just want to go back living in my home country?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, you can file Form I-407 (Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status) while you are still residing in the United States, even if you have not left the country since your initial entry. It is not necessary to be outside the U.S. to submit this form.

When completing Form I-407, you will be asked to provide a reason for abandoning your permanent resident status. In your case, you can simply state that you have decided to return to your home country permanently. Some examples of reasons you could provide are:

1. "I have decided to return to my home country to be with my family."

2. "I wish to re-establish my permanent residence in my home country."

3. "I have found employment in my home country and wish to relocate there permanently."

Be honest and straightforward in your reason, as there are no specific requirements or restrictions on the reason for abandonment.

After completing Form I-407, you can submit it in person at a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office or a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad. You will also need to surrender your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) when submitting the form.

It's important to note that once you have abandoned your permanent resident status, it can be difficult to regain it in the future should you change your mind. Make sure that you have carefully considered your decision before proceeding with the abandonment process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.