New Bedford, MA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Massachusetts

Q: If I flee d.v. from my husband and leave the home with our son can he call the police on me for kidnapping?

I do have photos of marks and bruises from assaults

over the last few months emailed secretly to a 2nd account but it's escalating and I'm scared for our safety but he's threatening me with police and has threatened my life if I leave with our sob

1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Waller
Brian Waller
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Worcester, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Your husband could definitely call the police, the question is what the police would do. I would suggest applying for an abuse prevention order, which can be done at the District Court or Probate and Family Court, or you can go to a police station to file a report there and they will assist you by contacting the "on-call" judge that is available 24 hours/day.

You should focus on your safety in the short term, and I would also suggest contacting domestic violence resources that can assist you, such as DOVE, YWCA, or New Hope just to name a few.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.