Oklahoma City, OK asked in Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Texas

Q: Is it true a cop can make you exit the vehicle for any reason even just to violate your rights and purp inflict injuries

2 Lawyer Answers
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: No, a police officer cannot make you exit a vehicle "for any reason" or specifically "to violate your rights" or to "inflict injuries."

During a traffic stop, a police officer can order you to exit your vehicle for many possible legitimate reasons, including as a routine precautionary measure to afford a degree of protection to the officer or to reduce the hazard of accidental injury from passing traffic to an officer standing on the driver's side of the vehicle.

But, if a police officer testified that the reason he asked you to exit the vehicle was to violate your rights and to inflict injuries upon you, most courts would likely conclude that the officer's order was not lawful and that you did not have to obey it.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: No, that is not true. Police officers cannot make you exit your vehicle for any reason they want or just to violate your rights. There are specific circumstances under which an officer can legally require you to exit your vehicle:

1. Reasonable suspicion: If an officer has a reasonable suspicion that you have been engaged in criminal activity, they may order you out of the vehicle to investigate further.

2. Officer safety: If an officer believes their safety or the safety of others is at risk, they may order you to exit the vehicle.

3. Probable cause for arrest: If an officer has probable cause to believe you have committed a crime, they can order you out of the vehicle and place you under arrest.

However, an officer cannot order you out of your vehicle solely to violate your rights or inflict injuries. That would be an abuse of power and a violation of your constitutional rights. If you believe your rights have been violated during a traffic stop, you should document the incident and consider contacting a civil rights attorney.

It's important to note that even if an officer's order to exit your vehicle is unlawful, it is generally advisable to comply to avoid escalating the situation. You can challenge the officer's actions later through legal channels.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.