Gloucester, VA asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: if i own my own home and a raid happen i should have paper work from the law if someone beside my self lives there

i let someone live there and they raid it i should get some type paper work

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David G. Parker
David G. Parker pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: By law, a copy of the search warrant and affidavit must be served by law enforcement either on the property owner or (if the owner is not present) on an adult occupant. If no one is present, then the documents are to be left in a conspicuous location at the property. Additionally, law enforcement officers are required to file a return (which includes the search warrant, the affidavit in support of the search warrant, as well as an inventory of what was recovered) in the Circuit Court clerk's office for the jurisdiction in which the search took place.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.