Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois

Q: If I was at a mental hospital during my hearing date for an order of protection would that help to get it dropped?

Me and my parents are separating ourselves, permanently. They were supporting me, and we're going through process of cutting our financial ties. Once that was mostly finished the family lawyer I was talking to dropped an order of protection on me. I sent them a bunch of angry messages, while waiting for the trust. A few days before my hearing I read through it, and a large chunk of it was filled with lies. In anger I sent a message to the attorneys and cced my parents on it going through a few of the lies.

I had a trust setup under the rules of no contact. The distributions were withdrawn for one year, and I checked myself into a mental hospital over feeling suicidal. My father contacted me and the landlord just before I committed myself. When I was at the mental hospital my mother tried to contact me. My parents since have rescinded their request to stop distributions.

I want nothing to do with them over this and abuse during childhood.

Can I still do anything about this?

1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: MAYBE. It depends how long ago this happened, were you served with the papers before or during hospital, will your Dr state that you were in such a mental state from mental illness or meds as to not be responsible for not showing up, etc.

Get all your papers together and go see a good family law attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.