Houston, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: Apartment flooded due to water heater. Recieved no compensation for 7 days not being able to live there. Anything to do?

Had to move out for several days and after requesting some type of compensation nothing was ever given.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If your renter's insurance failed to compensate you for your alternate living arrangements during those seven days, you should take a copy of your policy to an attorney in or near the county where the premises are located to determine whether such coverage is included in your policy and, if so, to make a formal demand against your renter's insurance company and to pursue litigation if it makes sense considering the amount of damages you are likely to recover for its breach of the terms of your policy and the likely legal cost of pursuing such a claim. If the amount of damages is $20,000 or less, you might even consider pursuing the insurance company in JP court for such a small claim.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.