Fort Worth, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: In Texas, if I'm paying child support am I also responsible for paying for child care?

I'm currently paying child support as a non-custodial parent however, the mother of my children's grandmother also receives $500 a month for "child care". I'm also currently having to go to the custodial parent's home in order to spend time with our children because for whatever reason she does not see me as fit to spend time with them alone. Is this something that is necessary?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You are only responsible for child care if you have a contractual arrangement with the child care provider to pay that provider or a court order that orders you to pay child care in addition to child support. Unless the court order specifies that you are only allowed to spend time with your children at the other parent's home, you may spend your time with your children however you choose.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.