Nacogdoches, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: my child’s father won’t sign our custody order after we have been to court and it’s been finalized.

hi my child father and I settled a custody agreement on December 1 of 2023. I I have signed my portion of the custody agreement, but he has not even though child support was supposed to go into effect on January 1, 2024. What will happen to him if he does not sign

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It depends on whether the "agreement" arises out of mediation and is commemorated in a signed mediation settlement agreement or whether it was announced in open court and expressly irrevocable.

In many cases involving child custody, agreements reached between the parties are revocable at any time up to the signing of the final custody order by the court. In the above two situations, such an agreement may be irrevocable--which means he can't change his mind.

If the agreement is irrevocable, your attorney should file a motion to enter the final custody order, set it for hearing, give the father notice, and proceed to submit the order to the court at the hearing.

On the other hand, if the agreement is revocable, your attorney should set your case for final trial and proceed accordingly. Settlement negotiations will most likely not be admissible in your final trial and will not be binding on either parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.