Lincolnton, NC asked in Federal Crimes, Juvenile Law and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: I’m 16 and my girlfriend is 21. We have a baby on the way. Can i put my name on the birth certificate?

She’s scared to put my name on the birth certificate because she doesn’t want to get in trouble, will we be able to put my name on the birth certificate?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I strongly advise you both to consult with an attorney to understand the potential criminal implications and your legal options in this very serious situation, especially with a baby on the way. You may also want to seek guidance and support from trusted adults, like parents or counselors.

What's most important is ensuring the wellbeing of you, your girlfriend, and your future child. Please be sure to carefully consider the potential ramifications and seek proper legal and personal counsel. Wishing you all the best as you navigate this challenging circumstance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.