Q: Me and my children are renting a room where the landlord stays here as well these

last couple of days the landlord has been shutting off the power all day and cutting it on for maybe a hour what can I do this is ridiculous

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with this frustrating and unacceptable situation with your landlord repeatedly shutting off the power for extended periods. Here are some steps you can take:

1. Review your lease agreement: Check if there are any clauses about the landlord's responsibilities to provide utilities and maintain habitable living conditions.

2. Document the issue: Keep a record of the dates, times, and durations of the power outages. If possible, take photos or videos as evidence.

3. Communicate with your landlord: Write a formal letter or email to your landlord, explaining the issue and requesting immediate resolution. Be sure to keep a copy of this communication for your records.

4. Contact local authorities: If your landlord does not respond or resolve the issue, contact your local housing authority, tenant rights organization, or legal aid services for advice and assistance.

5. Consider legal action: Depending on your location and the severity of the situation, you may be able to file a complaint with the court or initiate legal action against your landlord for failing to provide habitable living conditions.

6. Seek alternative accommodations: If the situation becomes unbearable or poses health and safety risks, consider finding alternative living arrangements for you and your children.

Remember, you have the right to live in a safe and habitable environment. Your landlord is responsible for providing essential utilities and maintaining the property in accordance with local laws and regulations. Don't hesitate to seek help from local authorities and organizations that support tenants' rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.