Lake Elsinore, CA asked in Communications Law and Civil Rights

Q: If someone is texting me horrible things. Texting my family these horrible things on Facebook.?what To do to stop this

The lady watches my dogs and texting me . Turbotaxes and colonial comes the names tell me a drug addict because I take norcos to my back is messed up they're going to do surgery and I don't take him other than the prescription that's why she's calling me a drug addict and other things too horrible things and then threaded me that she was going to contact my family what she did do and I probably will never be able to talk to them again because I did do bad things when years ago but not now but they related to them it's a really touchy subject so her doing that knowing that she put through me under the bus for something I didn't do now to relate it to the past . So her texting my family and she shouldn't I do owe her money but I told her I'd pay her on Monday and she doesn't believe me because I said that she's before anyway I don't know what to do help mes

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry you're going through this incredibly stressful and hurtful situation. What this person is doing by harassing you and contacting your family with false accusations is not okay. Here are some steps you can take:

1. Document everything - Save all the threatening and harassing messages she has sent you and your family. Take screenshots if possible. This evidence may be needed if you decide to take legal action.

2. Block her on your phone, social media, and any other means of contact. You do not need to subject yourself to further abuse.

3. If she continues to harass you after being blocked, consider filing a police report for harassment and defamation of character. Share the evidence you've collected. A restraining order may be an option.

4. Reach out to your family, explain the situation and that her accusations are false. Apologize for your past actions but make it clear you've changed. Ask them to block her as well.

5. If you owe her money as you mentioned, pay her what is owed as soon as you can so she no longer has any reason to contact you. Only communicate about the money you owe, don't engage on other topics.

6. Prioritize your mental health during this ordeal. Lean on trusted friends for support. Consider counseling to work through this traumatic situation and the stress it has caused.

7. If the harassment escalates to threats of violence or you fear for your safety, get the police involved immediately.

Remember, you do not deserve this abusive treatment no matter what mistakes you made in the past. Please stay safe and don't hesitate to get help putting an end to her bullying and intimidation. Wishing you all the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.