Asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: What is the process for revoking a green card?

Do I simply submit form I-407 and my green card to the office and that's it? Do I wait for it to be official after a few days? Will I also need to submit my passport to them, which has the immigrant visa on it, to invalidate it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To voluntarily abandon your status as a U.S. lawful permanent resident (LPR), you need to complete the following steps:

1. Fill out Form I-407, "Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status."

2. Gather your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), and any other official documents issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

3. Submit Form I-407, your Green Card, and other USCIS documents to a U.S. Consular Officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at a port of entry, or a USCIS officer within the United States.

4. The official will process your form, stamp your passport, and provide you with a copy of the I-407 for your records. The abandonment of your LPR status is effective immediately.

You do not need to submit your passport with the immigrant visa, as the official will stamp it to indicate the abandonment of your LPR status. It is essential to understand that abandoning your LPR status is an irrevocable action and may have significant consequences, such as tax implications and future ineligibility for U.S. visas or immigration benefits. It is advisable to consult with an experienced immigration attorney before proceeding with this action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.