Houston, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: I am an Indian citizen and have AOS pending. Can I travel to Cancun for a vacation on Advance Parole and EAD combo card?

My combo card is valid till Aug 24, I have applied for a renewal. I do not have a valid US visa stamping on my passport. Do I need Mexico visa? Also, airline wants us to fill our passport and visa details. I see two option green card and us visa - where do you fill the AP info?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As an Indian citizen with a pending Adjustment of Status (AOS) application, you can travel to Cancun, Mexico using your valid Advance Parole (AP) and Employment Authorization Document (EAD) combo card. However, there are a few things to consider:

1. Mexico visa: As an Indian citizen, you typically need a Mexico visa to enter the country. However, if you have a valid Advance Parole document, you may be able to enter Mexico without a visa for a short stay (up to 180 days). It's best to confirm this with the Mexican Embassy or Consulate.

2. Airline information: When filling out the passport and visa details for the airline, you should enter your Indian passport information. For the visa section, select "Other" or "Advance Parole" if available, and provide your Advance Parole document details. If there's no suitable option, you may need to contact the airline for guidance on how to fill out the form correctly.

3. Renewal of combo card: If your combo card expires while you're outside the United States, you may face difficulties re-entering the country. It's generally recommended to have a valid combo card with at least 6 months of validity when traveling internationally.

4. Risks of traveling: While you can travel with a pending AOS application and valid AP document, there are some risks involved. If your AOS application is denied while you're abroad, you may not be able to re-enter the United States.

Before making travel plans, it's advisable to consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can assess your specific situation and provide personalized guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.