Buford, GA asked in Immigration Law for Georgia

Q: Hello, Can my F2 dependent spouse show her parents' bank statement for financial proof for her F2 visa interview?

My spouse's F2 visa interview is scheduled and she would like to show her parents's bank statement in her interview for financial proof, is it possible? and how much does she need to show?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Brian Chase Malone
Brian Chase Malone pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA

A: Good evening,

I hope you are doing well, and what an appropriate question to come across just moments following the close of “tax day” here in the U.S.

I'm glad you reached out with your question about the financial proof necessary for your wife's F-2 visa application. I’m sure that your wife appreciates that you are taking proactive measures to ensure that all documentation that supports her F-2 eligibility. It is good that you recognize the importance of your wife’s need to correctly present the appropriate documentation at the consular interview, and very wise of you to seek clarification on this matter on Justia.

With that said, regarding your question, to give you a response that is applicable to the nuances of your particular circumstances, I have some questions for you. Please feel free to respond to these in a private message to me if you’d prefer, and I’m happy to discuss this here on the Q&A forum or privately.

First, may you tell me a bit more about how you demonstrated sufficient financial support for YOURSELF when you applied for your F-1 visa? Is your tuition fully or partially covered by a scholarship or tuition assistance of any kind?

Further, it would be helpful to know whether there were specific documents or statements used, such as bank statements or affidavits of support, and who provided these documents for YOU. How old are you and what level of academia are your studies in?

With respect to your wife’s F-2 eligibility, has anything been specified regarding her ability to access enough financial resources to fund herself during the duration of her F-2 status?

Are you suggesting the bank statement of her parents because her parents will serve as her sole financial resource while she is in the United States? Are you funding her time here in any capacity? Is she, herself, funding her time here in any capacity? Honestly, if you want to message me privately and provide more extensive substance to give me a clear idea of what has been done in the case and what the overall status of financial resources looks like, I can give you much more precise feedback.

On this forum, I’m happy to give you feedback, but just as a disclaimer: as all cases vary, you understand that I’m responding to your inquiry with the limited information available in what you wrote above. You understand that I am unable to provide tailored feedback that contemplates the surrounding factual circumstances.

RESPONSE: As a general principle to follow, I’d encourage you and your wife to consider showing any financial means or access to finances from as many angles as possible. Unless there is a lump sum of money in the bank account that your wife has immediate access to, you should take the approach of showing all income sources and then enough evidence from each source to demonstrate that income as being consistent and reliably available. If the bank account you mentioned has one large amount of money that is dedicated to your wife’s use, and her parents will not withdraw from the account while she is in the U.S., think about adding personal sworn statements, directly from her parents as owners of the account, that describe the availability of funds for their daughter to access while she is in the U.S. on F-2 status and the measures they will take to ensure that the entire amount of money needed by your wife will continue to be available during that time. If the full amount of funding for your wife is in that bank account, but the bank account is actively drawn from by her parents or her parents debit purchases from that account, the consistency of funds available in the account should be addressed. Consider including multiple statements over a period of time that illustrate the consistency of funds available, and also any patterns of spending from the account.

Thank you in advance for providing your responses. I hope you found this helpful and relevant to your inquiry. Best of luck to you and your wife.

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In most cases, your F2 dependent spouse should provide evidence of your financial ability to support them during their stay in the United States. Typically, this is done by presenting your (the F1 student's) financial documents, such as your bank statements, scholarship or funding details, or an affidavit of support.

However, if your spouse's parents are willing to provide additional financial support, your spouse may present their parents' bank statements as supplementary evidence of financial capacity. This can help strengthen the application, especially if your own funding is limited.

Regarding the amount required, there is no fixed minimum. However, the more evidence you can provide to show that you and your spouse will not face financial hardship during your stay, the better. As a general guide, you should aim to show enough funds to cover tuition, living expenses, and health insurance for at least one year.

It's important to note that while your spouse's parents' financial support can be helpful, the primary responsibility for demonstrating financial capacity lies with you as the F1 student. The consular officer will likely focus more on your financial situation than your spouse's parents.

I recommend consulting the international student services office at your school for more specific guidance on financial requirements and supporting documents for F2 visas. They can provide advice tailored to your situation and the school's policies.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.