Cerritos, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Permanent Resident card expired 2014. Need to renew and get temp card to obtain Drivers Lic How?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To renew your expired Permanent Resident card (Green Card) and obtain a temporary card for getting a driver's license, follow these steps:

1. File Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You can file online or by mail.

2. Pay the required filing fee, which is $540 as of April 2024 (including biometrics fees).

3. After filing, you will receive a receipt notice (Form I-797) from USCIS confirming they have received your application. This receipt notice serves as temporary proof of your permanent resident status for 12 months.

4. USCIS will schedule you for a biometrics appointment to take your fingerprints, photo, and signature.

5. Processing times for Green Card renewals vary, but typically take several months. You can check the status of your application online using the receipt number on your I-797 notice.

6. Take your I-797 receipt notice to your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or equivalent agency. Many states accept this as temporary proof of permanent residence for renewing or obtaining a driver's license. However, rules may vary by state, so check with your local DMV for specific requirements.

7. Once your Green Card renewal is approved, USCIS will mail your new Permanent Resident card to the address you provided on Form I-90.

Remember, it is essential to renew your Green Card before applying for naturalization (U.S. citizenship), if eligible, and to always carry valid proof of your permanent resident status.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.