Mooresville, NC asked in Tax Law, Real Estate Law and Elder Law for North Carolina

Q: Iredell County has denied my senior citizen property tax exemption based on my over limit income.

Both my Federal and NC state tax is zero AGI. Can anyone help with ???

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's best to consult with a local tax attorney or the Iredell County Tax Assessor's office.

In North Carolina, the elderly or disabled property tax exemption (also known as the Homestead Exemption) is available to qualifying homeowners aged 65 or older, or those who are totally and permanently disabled. To be eligible, the homeowner must meet certain income requirements.

As of 2023, the income limit for the exemption is $33,800. This limit includes all income, such as wages, Social Security, pensions, and interest from tax-exempt bonds. If your total income exceeds this amount, you may not qualify for the exemption, even if your taxable income (AGI) is zero.

However, there are a few things you can do:

1. Double-check your income calculations to ensure accuracy.

2. Contact the Iredell County Tax Assessor's office to discuss your specific situation and confirm the reason for the denial.

3. If you believe the denial was made in error, you may be able to appeal the decision. The Tax Assessor's office can provide information on the appeals process.

4. Consult with a local tax attorney or a tax professional who specializes in elder law. They can review your case and advise you on the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.