Houston, TX asked in Business Law, Contracts, Consumer Law and Small Claims for Texas

Q: Where do I file a small claim against a corporation headquartered in Ohio but conducts business in Houston, Texas

The Company is Divisions Maintenance Group in Ohio but operates a handyman app that provides a job load board for technicians anywhere in the nation. As we perform maintenance jobs for businesses in our local region, the businesses pay Divisions Maintenance Group for our services, and we get paid from DMG. I performed a job for Sam's Warehouse worth $14,000. Even though Sam's Warehouse has paid DMG for my services, DMG has in turn refused to pay me. DMG has a registered Agent in Austin, but not in Houston.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In justice court, a suit on an oral or written contract for labor actually performed may be brought in the county and precinct where the labor was performed. TCPRC 15.092. So in the JP court for the precinct where the Sam's Warehouse where you performed the services is located.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.