New York, NY asked in Probate for Rhode Island

Q: Are there any consequences regarding an executor in another state that does not probate a vehicle registered and houses?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Albin Moser
Albin Moser pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Providence, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: One of the purposes of probate is to make sure there is clear title to assets, so if there is no trust or other means of non probate transfer of these assets then yes, they need to be probated. But, concerning the houses, check the deeds to see if they were owned with any other person or placed in a trust. The deeds are searchable online in Rhode Island. Concerning the vehicles, certain relatives can transfer the vehicle without probate in certain circumstances.

If you believe that there is a problem then you should talk to the executor and make your concerns known. If you are an heir or beneficiary of the estate then you also have a right to file an objection with the probate court.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.