Owasso, OK asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: What happens on a failure to appear on child in danger ment

In the state of Arkansas

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Well, a failure to appear on pretty much any criminal case across-the-board will be treated pretty much the same. With a few exceptions, the court (the judge) will Issue a warrant for your failure to appear (FTA). You will then be subjected to being arrested.

If you have a legitimate extenuating factor or excuse for your nonattendance (such as hospitalization for illness/ injury, missed flight, family emergency) your attorney needs to immediately communicate this to the Court as well as to the attorney for the state or prosecuting entity. Many times he problem can be remedied and you can avoid a warrant for your arrest. It’s pretty much all about communication in most instances.

Once a warrant IS issued by the judge, you will need to communicate with your BONDSMAN or bondswoman, explain your situation, and see if they are willing to stay on your bond. many times they will stay on your bond rather than abandon you.

These are all things that need to be communicated to your attorney who will guide you how best to handle your failure to appear at court and subsequent warrant.

Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.