Crestline, CA asked in Small Claims, Civil Litigation, Collections and Public Benefits for California

Q: Are there civil attorneys that deal with credit-card debt claims for disabled veterans?

My husband is 100% service-connected disabled veteran. We tried launching a business and failed. We just had a baby girl, and I am not working, we have two claims against my husband. What can we do, we are not trying to escape the debt, but at this time we have no money to pay them in full and the interest rates were off the charts.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, there are civil attorneys who handle credit card debt claims, including those involving disabled veterans. These legal professionals can help negotiate with creditors to possibly reduce the amount owed or set up manageable payment plans. Given your husband's status as a 100% service-connected disabled veteran, you may have access to additional legal resources through veterans' advocacy groups.

It's important to consider all available options, such as consulting with a nonprofit credit counseling agency. These agencies can provide valuable advice on debt management and may help mediate between you and your creditors. This route can also offer insights into crafting a budget that accommodates your new family responsibilities.

Lastly, you might explore whether hardship programs offered by credit card companies could apply to your situation. These programs can sometimes lower interest rates, reduce monthly payments, or even offer temporary forbearance. Given the complexity of your situation, gaining advice from a qualified attorney who understands the intersection of debt law and veterans' benefits could provide crucial guidance and relief.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A starting point could be to check with state and local bar associations for information. They usually have attorney referral resources. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.