Asked in Estate Planning, Immigration Law and Real Estate Law

Q: I need official datas about a deceased person from Virginia. Is it possoble to request the offical datas online?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Yes, you can request official data about a deceased person from Virginia online. The Virginia Department of Health’s Division of Vital Records provides access to death certificates and other vital records. These documents can be requested through their official website or through other online services that facilitate access to public records.

To obtain a death certificate, you typically need to prove your relationship to the deceased or provide a legal reason for requesting the document. This might require you to submit documentation like your ID, proof of your relationship to the deceased (such as a birth certificate or marriage certificate), and possibly a letter explaining your reason for the request.

For more detailed instructions and to make an online request, you should visit the website of the Virginia Department of Health or contact them directly. They offer several options for obtaining records, including online requests, mail, or in-person visits, depending on what suits your needs best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.