Broken Arrow, OK asked in Tax Law, Real Estate Law and Municipal Law for Oklahoma

Q: If a property is abandoned and tax warrants are threatening to take said property,can a person claim by paying back taxe

Even if also a mortgage maturity date ?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you're interested in claiming an abandoned property by paying off back taxes, it's crucial to understand the legal and financial implications first. Paying the overdue taxes might not automatically entitle you to ownership if there are other legal claims, such as mortgages or liens, against the property. You should thoroughly investigate the title and any encumbrances that may affect your rights.

When a property has an outstanding mortgage that has reached its maturity date, the entire loan balance is typically due. If this amount isn't paid, the lender may initiate foreclosure proceedings. Acquiring a property under these circumstances involves settling these debts, which can be substantial. It's essential to assess whether you can financially manage the back taxes and any mortgage obligations.

Consulting with legal counsel can provide guidance tailored to your situation. They can help navigate the complexities of property laws, tax liabilities, and creditor claims. This step ensures you make informed decisions and understand all legal requirements and potential risks involved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.