Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Municipal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Education Law and Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: How much would the bong be if the charge was 21 o.s. 649(B) She was charged that for biting a police officer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Apr 28, 2022

This will depend on where the charge is filed, her criminal history, and possibly other factors.

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law and Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: A citizen of 4 years in our town did not transfer her voting location. Can she still run for City Council in our town
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
answered on Jun 16, 2021

The specific answer to your question is too complicated to be answered on a forum such as this. To answer this question, you would need to review the municipal code's laws governing eligibility to run for city council in your town--presumably there is a residency requirement---and assuming... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: My son is being held in Oklahoma awaiting extradition to Arkansas it's been 2 weeks and they have yet to come get him

What can I do to get him released from hold or speedup the process or to help him at all

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
answered on May 8, 2021

Best thing you can do is help him hire the best criminal defense attorney you can find.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is it Legal for the city utility office to require payment on an old account from 13 years ago Before turning on utilits

Oklahoma Statutes

Title 12. Civil Procedure

§12-95. Limitation of other actions.

Universal Citation: 12 OK Stat § 12-95

A. Civil actions other than for the recovery of real property can only be brought within the following periods, after the cause of action shall... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on May 6, 2020

You have cited a stat statute that governs litigation in the state courts. The city utility is not suing you for the ancient bills you never paid; they are telling you to pay your ancient debt or go get your utilities elsewhere. Be happy they are not asking for interest on this 13 year old... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Can the mayor of a municipality override the Chief of the Volunteer fire department? Can the Mayor fire the chief ?
Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud
answered on Apr 10, 2019

Your city's municipal code can tell you the answer to that. To find a copy of your city's municipal code, contact your city clerk.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Can the CITY OF MOORE prohibit me from legally carrying a firearm in a city park if I have a state issued license?

If I correctly understand the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, page 24, Sect B, Paragraph 4, City parks are one of the places that State Law specifically excludes from gun control by City ordinance.

Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
answered on Mar 18, 2018

Correct. But I would not open carry there and risk a confrontation which could cost time and money if you're arrested.

1 Answer | Asked in Environmental, Land Use & Zoning, Municipal Law and Real Estate Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Public nuisance codes in small town stonrwall,OK.74871
Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad
answered on Dec 31, 2017

Visit your county courthouse. The law library is supposed to have a copy of the city laws/ordinances. City hall should also have a copy.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Cited with warning and citation for $150 with court date next month am I going to jail for this?

I was practicing for my drivers test got pulled over with a license driver in car with me and had insurance on the car. The cop gave me a warning and a court date for next month, I’ve asked people if I’m going to be put in jail and they say no just get license BEFORE the date and to also pay... Read more »

Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
answered on Nov 14, 2017

I don't understand what you got the ticket for. A "Warning" ticket doesn't require a fine, or court date. Take a good close look at the ticket, and ask your question again.

Sorry I can't help more.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I currently have a Misd Dom A&B from 2007/2008, and 2015 GRoss Mis Conduct, can I possibly get these off my record?

the Dom A&B was a deferred but for unknown to me reasons they revoked it within a week of it going off my record

the misconduct is a deferred and I don't know how about getting it off my record (i thought they just fall off)

Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
answered on Nov 13, 2017

You should consult an experienced Criminal Law Attorney, in your area, for help with this problem.

My My website, in the blog section has info on Expungement.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: what legal right does a judge have in ordering I can't do? like i am not allowed to drive my kids due to a wreck.

the wreck was an accident and no laws were broken.. there is so many more instances and would like to know how much power the have..

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
answered on Oct 27, 2017

The court has the power to make orders that the court determines to be in the best interest of the children. Best bet is get an attorney if you don't already have one.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: My son spent 9 days in jail for identity theft and was transported to another state without his consent, can he sue?

My son was taken to Oklahoma County jail for a warrant in Yavapai Arizona, he was incarcerated in Oklahoma County for 7 days then transported to Arizona, they saw they had the wrong person then released him can something be done about this? They told him he was actually kidnapped since he... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
answered on Sep 25, 2015

Perhaps. Go see a local criminal defense attorney who also handles personal injury cases. You can find them in the phone book or online

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Insurance Bad Faith and Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Can a car be siezed and impounded by police for out of date tags?

The car was parked in driveway on private property. Police came with no warning and impounded the car. Was not in any way a nuiscance or derelict as the city of Oklahoma is now claiming.

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
answered on Sep 11, 2015

You need to hire an attorney for this. The car has been siezed, yes it has already happened. The point here is that in order to do anything about it, you need to get an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: In Oklahoma can one Lawyer be both the City's Attorney and the Municipal Judge?
Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson
answered on Nov 23, 2013

Probably. However, doing so opens the door to conflicts of interest. The judge should not preside over a case in which he or she has ever been involved as an attorney, as an investigator, as a witness, or in any other non-neutral role.

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Can I post on my neighbors side of MY fence “No Trespassing” and “Private Property” signs and enforce them?

I live in Tulsa County. I have a neighbor that piles objects up against my fence and has damaged about 35’ of fencing. He has been asked numerous times to stop to no avail!

I own the fence and it is 6” inside my property line. I am going to have to replace the fence because of the damage... Read more »

Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson
answered on Nov 12, 2013

As to the signage, it depends on the section of the county in which the fence is located and whether it is within any city limits. However, regardless of the sign issue, if your fence is on your property and your neighbor has piled stuff against your fence, then your neighbor has probably... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.