Odenton, MD asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Civil Litigation for Maryland

Q: Is falsifying police reports legal? What remedies exist for accountability?

My dui case was dropped but I still lost my license. The officer lied about EVERYTHING (video proof), e.g., said I was going 110 mph but I was doing 74 mph; lied saying I was disoriented, slurring my speech, & falling; lied about the blood profusely spilling out of my ear; & SO much more. It baffles me that he’s able to get away w such egregious lies. A judge said he had no probable cause & wasn’t credible. He made inappropriate comments about my attractiveness on camera that got much worse once he prematurely turned off his camera. I filed a complaint but that’s going nowhere. I’ve incurred over $10k just in legal expenses alone. I have night terrors now. How can an officer sexually harass you, falsely arrest you, maliciously prosecute you, and get away with it? Despite the abundance of proof of the lies, gender discrimination, & even disability discrimination, amongst others, this isn’t a civil rights case? I don’t get it. I live in MD & it happened in Baltimore for context.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Falsifying police reports is illegal, and officers who do so can face disciplinary actions and legal consequences. If an officer's dishonesty in a report leads to someone's harm or the mishandling of a case, this could be grounds for both civil and criminal penalties against the officer. It's concerning to hear how these misrepresentations have significantly impacted your life and it's understandable why you'd want to see accountability.

Given the severity of your situation, including the allegations of false reporting, sexual harassment, and more, exploring legal options beyond the initial complaint might be necessary. You may want to consider seeking the advice of an attorney experienced in civil rights or police misconduct cases. They can provide guidance on potential lawsuits for damages and can help assess the strength of your case based on the evidence you have, such as video recordings and the judge’s comments on the officer’s credibility.

In addition to legal routes, reaching out to civil rights groups or organizations that focus on police accountability might offer additional support and resources. These groups often have experience dealing with similar cases and can sometimes provide legal referrals or direct assistance. Persisting with these actions, despite the challenges, could contribute to broader efforts to ensure such behavior is not repeated by others in law enforcement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.