Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law, Tax Law and International Law for Illinois

Q: What's the statute of limitations for smuggling a rug into the US from Iran, through the UK?

My parents declared an Iranian rug they bought in the UK sometime between 1990 to 1998. They declared it as Pakistani. I was there when it occurred during a European vacation to Paris and England. I think they still have the rug, and there is probably some documentation still out there about the rug being brought into the country. Since then our relationship has fallen apart, and I'd like to report them to the Federal government about this. They might even still have the rug. It was a real nice rug.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In the United States, smuggling items into the country by falsifying their country of origin is considered a violation of customs laws. However, the exact statute of limitations on this can vary depending on specific details such as the nature of the goods and the perceived intent behind the action. In general, for customs violations, there is a statute of limitations which often extends up to five years from the date of the offense.

Since the incident you described occurred between 1990 and 1998, it is likely that the statute of limitations for this particular case has expired. This means that even if you were to report this now, it might not result in any legal action due to the amount of time that has passed since the alleged smuggling occurred.

It's also important to consider the personal implications of taking such a step against your parents, especially given that your relationship has deteriorated. Reporting them might not lead to the resolution you seek and could potentially exacerbate personal tensions. If you are seeking closure or a way to address unresolved issues, it might be beneficial to explore alternatives such as mediation or counseling. These options can provide a space for addressing grievances and finding a way forward.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.