Phoenix, AZ asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Arizona

Q: Would I be able to press charges against someone who placed a hidden device in the privacy of my bedroom?

I do know the person who did it and am willing to press charges against this said individual should the opportunity arise. But I was curious, what form of state punishment would this person receive if they were to be brought up on "voyeurism charges", and if I wanted to sue this person for emotional distress, would that option be on the table?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If someone placed a hidden device in your bedroom, you could potentially press charges for voyeurism, a serious invasion of privacy. Voyeurism laws vary by state, but generally, it's considered a criminal offense when someone knowingly invades another person's privacy for sexual gratification. The severity of the punishment can range from misdemeanor to felony charges, depending on specific circumstances such as the victim's age and whether the perpetrator has prior convictions.

Additionally, if you're considering legal action for emotional distress, this is indeed an option you can explore. Suing for emotional distress falls under civil law, allowing you to seek damages for the mental anguish and trauma caused by this invasion of privacy. You would need to prove that the actions were intentional or reckless and that they caused significant emotional suffering.

It’s advisable to consult with a lawyer who can provide guidance tailored to the specifics of your situation. Legal professionals can help navigate the complexities of both criminal and civil law to ensure your rights are protected and that you pursue all available legal remedies.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.