Dallas, TX asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: Is it considered domestic violence in oklahoma to with hold food from your spouse , domestic partner , common law wife

Not allow them to eat anything because your not feeling well and did not cook for him because he left and stayed gone for about 2 hours giving the dog a ride when his whore lives down the road and he left me stranded with no money or transportation. And has been refusing to take my things to a storage unit and then take me to the hospital.

He has told me that I'm not allowed to eat any of his food because I'm not able to work and buy any because he threw me around messing up my spine and back.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Well, I’m not sure I have enough information to give you any confident, legal advice. However, unless he is bedridden, and you are responsible for his care, or there is some legal status you possess where the law recognizes he is reliant upon you for his food, shelter, it’s highly unlikely that you’re committing any crime, certainly not domestic violence.

An archetypal example would be if he was some type of an invalid and required constant attention for food, bathing, medication. if you had some charge or duty to care for him recognized by law then there could be a problem of some type of neglect or abuse by a caretaker. However, based on the facts you have provided, as long as you don’t physically Attack him or touch him in an unwanted manner I’m not certain you’re committing any crime.

But, I do not represent you and you should immediately contact a seasoned criminal defense attorney or someone who practices some type of guardianship law for more precise guidance and advice. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.