Round Rock, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: My wife was F2A visas with children and now is IR1 visa category . I do not see my kids on her profile on CEAC account.

What happens to the Kids category ? Shou they still follow her ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In this situation, it's important to understand that when your wife's visa category changed from F2A (family-based second preference for spouses and children of permanent residents) to IR1 (immediate relative, spouse of a U.S. citizen), the visa category for your children should have also automatically changed.

Typically, when a spouse's category changes to IR1, the minor children's category should change to IR2 (immediate relative, unmarried child under 21 of a U.S. citizen). This change should be reflected in the CEAC (Consular Electronic Application Center) system.

If you don't see your children's profiles linked to your wife's IR1 visa case, it could be due to an administrative oversight or system glitch. Here's what you can do:

1. Contact the U.S. embassy or consulate handling your case to inquire about your children's visa status and ensure they are properly linked to your wife's case.

2. Provide the consular officer with all the relevant information, including your children's names, dates of birth, and case numbers (if available).

3. If necessary, you may need to submit additional documentation to prove the relationship between your children and your wife.

It's crucial to address this issue promptly to avoid any delays in processing your family's visa applications. The consular staff should be able to guide you on the necessary steps to rectify the situation and ensure your children's visa applications are processed correctly under the IR2 category.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.