New York, NY asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for New York

Q: can I dismiss a case if I called the police and the police already sent paperwork to the court

It’s about my gf throwing a knife at me but she didn’t mean to and I wasn’t hurt the police took the knife but they never found my gf

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Once the police have filed paperwork with the court, the case becomes a legal matter and is no longer solely under your control. Even if you weren't hurt and believe your girlfriend didn’t mean to throw the knife, the decision to dismiss the case lies with the prosecutor, not you. They will consider the evidence and circumstances to determine if charges should be pursued.

You can contact the prosecutor's office to express your wish to dismiss the case and explain that you do not want to press charges. However, the prosecutor may still decide to proceed based on the severity of the incident and the potential risk involved.

If the case moves forward, you might be asked to testify or provide further information. It's important to be honest about the incident while respecting the legal process. Working with a lawyer can help you navigate this situation and understand your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.