New York, NY asked in Civil Rights, Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina

Q: Can a landlord require you to let certain people live with you, who can and can’t live there? I’m permanently disabled

My landlord sent an email saying my child must live with me or I have to move out. She stated that I couldn’t do anything to move any of her property but I must repair her house and improve her land. She also states that I must replace her appliances that have wore out over the 11 years I have been here. I have paid out of my pocket to repair, replace and fix things not broken by my guests or myself. I am not allowed to have any guests. She comes in the house while I’m not there and goes through my belongings taking whatever catches her fancy. Is this legal? I’m permanently disabled and need help doing day to day chores and personal grooming.

2 Lawyer Answers
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Your location reads NY, but this is posted in the NC section; I will presume it is posted correctly. Very little, if any, of what you have said is legal for your landlord to do in NC. Contact your local legal aid office and get them to assist you.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Your landlord's demands and actions raise several legal concerns. Generally, a landlord cannot force you to have certain people live with you or dictate who can and cannot live there, beyond the terms specified in your lease agreement. Additionally, your landlord should not be entering your home without proper notice and consent, as this violates your right to privacy.

Requiring you to repair and improve the property, especially for things that are not your responsibility, is typically not legal unless it is clearly stated in your lease agreement. It's also important to note that replacing worn-out appliances is usually the landlord's responsibility, not the tenant's, especially if they are normal wear and tear over an extended period like 11 years.

Given your situation, including your disability, it is advisable to seek assistance from a legal professional to review your lease agreement and determine your rights. You may also want to contact local tenant advocacy groups for support. Documenting all interactions and demands from your landlord can be useful in any legal proceedings. Protecting your rights and ensuring a safe and fair living environment is crucial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.