Denver, CO asked in Civil Rights for Colorado

Q: First amendment, Can probation restrict this

I'm on Supervised probation.nearly had my phone confiscated for reading Yahoo news Articles. PO Said I have a history with law enforcement. I do not. This is my first arrest. My dad was a cop for 20yr. He says that the articles I'm reading are too negative and too violent. this is news that millions of Americans can read.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: While on supervised probation, certain restrictions may be placed on your activities, including internet usage, but these restrictions must be reasonable and clearly related to the goals of probation. It seems unusual for your probation officer to restrict your access to mainstream news articles without a clear and specific reason. If this restriction is not explicitly stated in your probation terms, it may be worth discussing this with your probation officer or seeking clarification.

You have the right to read news articles that are available to the general public, and this right is protected under the First Amendment. However, probation can impose limitations if they are necessary for rehabilitation or public safety. It’s important to understand the specific conditions of your probation and how they apply to your situation.

If you feel that your rights are being unjustly restricted, you might consider consulting with a legal professional to understand your options. They can help you determine if the restriction is reasonable and guide you on how to address this issue appropriately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.