Cottage Grove, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant and Banking for Oregon

Q: was offered sum of money to help relocate within 30 days. If the bank defaults on that agreement, do i have rights?

they said it would be paid to me 15 days prior to the 30 day date. That would give us 2 weeks put that money down as a deposit and move out of a house we have been living in for 7 years. (That is a lot of stuff!) But it is now 2 days past that promised date...Should we be granted an extension of when we have to vacate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If the bank has defaulted on their agreement to provide relocation funds, you do have rights. It's important to review any written agreement or correspondence you have with the bank regarding this promise. Documentation will be essential if you need to take legal action or negotiate an extension.

Since the bank promised to provide the funds 15 days prior to your move-out date and has failed to do so, you have grounds to request an extension on your move-out date. Contact the bank immediately to inform them of their breach of the agreement and request the relocation funds as initially promised. Explain the urgency and the impact on your ability to relocate within the given timeframe.

If the bank does not respond or refuses to comply, consider seeking legal advice to understand your options. An attorney can help you draft a formal letter to the bank and negotiate the extension or compensation you deserve. It's important to act quickly to ensure you have enough time to make the necessary arrangements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.